Friday, May 3, 2013

Calming the Chaos...

Welcome to the 
 Calming the Chaos Blog Hop   
hosted by 2peasandadog.
All of us bloggers have come together to share our top tips for making the last month of school run smoothly. Visit each of our blogs to learn something new and catch a freebie or two!
Happy Hopping!!!

Well, most of us are on our last month of school (jumping for joy)! It can be quite difficult to keep students engaged when testing is over and the weather is nice and sunny. Nobody wants to be locked in a classroom all day when it's so beautiful outside. Our EOI testing is now over for Algebra I and I have 3 weeks left until the last day of school.

One way that I calm the chaos in my classroom is I have my students work on a poster project for a 3 day period. My students have to find 5 newspaper articles that must contain math. They have to highlight the math that's included in the articles and then they are required to write a summary for each one. The summary has to include how math is being used in the article. If there are graphs that go with the article(s), I ask students to include it on their poster. Students are required to create their own title and it cannot be handwritten on the poster. Also, they cannot have a white poster board. I think white is boring and so I told them that I want lots of color! On the 4th day the students get up in front of the class and show off their project along with a 2-3 minute overview of their articles. I really like this because students become aware of how often math is written about in the news.

Here is a little freebie for you to enjoy. Click on the picture below and you'll be taken to it! Hope you visit the other blogs and we help you calm the chaos as our finishing point approaches!



Hope you enjoy and feel free to check out my TpT store and Pinterest.

                                                      
 


Blog Hop Participants
Check out this Great Giveaway!

6 comments:

  1. Do all of your students turn this in? I've seen people do this in primary grades, but haven't thought of doing it with uppers. It's a neat idea!

    I'm your newest follower.


    Follow me at Mrs. Harris Teaches Science

    Cheers,
    Mrs. Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all students turn in a poster. This way they all have to do the work and it doesn't end up being completed by one person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Math! Numbers rule my world too - I love that name! I just found your blog through the hop, I'm your newest follower :)

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following...hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love the Algebra calendar idea! That is SUCH a great idea. I can't wait to use it. :) Your newest follower: The Learning Lab

    ReplyDelete